After making a special appearance at Gin Fizz in Harlem, Friday February 10th, the band has solidified a spot on the club’s monthly rotation. Starting March 10th, they will be doing sets starting at 9:00pm and 11pm one Friday per month. Special guest, Madame Secretary, Victoria Cave will be with Dime Ops. Gin Fizz is located in Harlem on 308 Malcom X Blvd, near 125th st. No cover!
In 2013 Nickel and Dime Ops was steam rolling their way through the NYC scene, playing many of the city’s legendary venues. This was culminated by the release of their sophomore album “The Soulygamist,”produced by The Roots’ saxophonist, Ian Hendrickson-Smith. The party to celebrate the occasion was held at The Cutting Room, in epic fashion.
In 2014, the unexpected happened. Several of the Dime Ops’major players had to step back from the band, citing various personal issues, including musical director David Gibson. Undaunted, Nickel pushed forward and regrouped around a new core of musicians, lead by saxophonist, Jason Marshall and pianist Willerm Delisfort. The result was a new synergy amongst the younger cast of players. This has resulted in a more free sound, that can be described as playful, soulful, with more of a hip hop edge.
2017 marks a new age for the jazz/hip hop fusion band. The Dime Ops crew has been rehearsing, preparing to record an album of entirely new music. The still untitled full length is slated to be released just before Summer. To promote the new music, the band is currently working to put together tours on the East and West Coast, as well as Europe. “We’ve really cooked up something amazing for our fans, and are excited release this project.” says band leader, Nickel. One thing is certain, a fresh new sound is brewing within the Dime Ops camp. Stay tuned.
Out of towers? 9-5ers? But still Nickel and Dimers? Now you can check out the band every week on SoundCloud! Every Friday we will be posting a recording of the entire show from the night before. It’s easy and free to stay in tune with us. Put on some headphones and listen to NDO at the gym, during your morning commute, cleaning the house, throw us on at the party. What ever you are into, we support it!
Jazz/hip hop fusion band Nickel and Dime Ops has proven themselves to be a staple in the New York City scene. They have now held down a weekly residency at the world renown jazz club, SMOKE, for 6 years and running as of September 1st this year. The 9 piece super group has also put on some monumental performances at many of the great venues in the city as well. Blue Note, Cutting Room, Joe’s Pub, Gin Fizz, to name a few. Over 300 shows and counting the band shows no signs slowing down, preparing to record their 3rd record this Fall.
Ever pushing the creative envelope, Nickel, along with Dime Ops All Stars Dezron Douglas and Chris Beck are preparing to put on a special event at the West Village fabled venue The Bitter End. They are calling this one time show The Art of Rhythm. All 3 will exemplify their prolific talents as they explore rhythmic boundaries in one nonstop set featuring only drums, bass, and one MC. They will go on at 11pm as headliners on Wednesday 9/7. The night will also feature Dime Ops fan favorite Darius Christian with his band at 9pm and Nashville reggae/funk band Charge the Atlantic.
Nickel and Dime OPS has a new music video for their album “The Soulygamist.” The frontman of the group, Nickel, filmed the entire video selfie style on a one day trip from NYC to California and edited it with his iPhone 6. The song “Wheels Keep Spinning has been a fan favorite of Dime Ops fans. The lyrics and production are also by Nickel. Enjoy!
A couple years ago my MHB brother Whichcraft and I decided to do a project together. For years him and I had worked together within the Money Hungry Bastards camp and I always found it a great pleasure to work with this very talented and progressive minded individual. As we began writing and recording it became apparent that this project was going to be special. The beats donated to the cause were of the highest level of boombappery. Lyrically we pushed each other to be the greatest we could be and complimented each other extremely well. Thought provoking concepts filled with esoteric wisdom and metaphorical mastery. Would you expect less? If you are a fan of true hip hop I challenge you to give this EP a chance. If you do not approve I will personally send you a refund check for the $6.94. That’s my guarantee. I invite you to enjoy “The Lemurian Candidate,” by Signz of Life.
- Nickel and Dime OPS has had somewhere around 300 shows. Somewhere around 250 at SMOKE, as well as Blue Note NYC, The Cutting Room, Joe’s Pub, The Bitter End, Ginny’s, Zinc, Bowery Electric, Sullivan Hall, Ashford and Simpson’s Sugar Bar, to name some most notable.
– In 5 years of performing we have featured many combinations of some the greatest jazz musicians on the NYC scene totaling in the area of somewhere around 130 different musicians, and over 200 if including those who sat in with us on the gig.
– The resume’s of these musicians feature names such as Alicia Keys, The Roots, D’Angelo, Amy Winehouse, Sting, Al Green, Mos Def, Common, Erykah Badu, Aretha Franklin, President Obama, Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, Wu Tang, Bobby McFerrin, and many more.
– Special guests sitting in with us include Dr. Eddie Henderson (trumpet disciple of Miles Davis), Gregory Porter (Grammy Award winning vocalist), Jean Baylor (from Zhane), Jacky Terrason (world renown piano player), Dennis Davis (Stevie Wonder’s drummer), T-Bone Davis (Public Enemy’s drummer), Brandon Bizzy Hollemon (guitar player and producer for The Weekend, Mims, and more)
– Some notable audience members and supporters include George Clinton, Governor David Patterson, Michael Strahan, Tamara Tunie, Kwame, Franc D ‘Ambrosio aka The Phantom of the Opera, Devin Ratray aka Buzz from Home Alone.
– Nickel and Dime OPS has released 2 albums. Most recently, “The Soulygamist,” was produced and mixed by Ian Hendrickson-Smith who currently plays with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon, and has played with The Dap Kings, Al Green, Sharon Jones, and holds Grammys for his work with Amy Winehouse.
– Although the band is usually 9 pieces in total, Nickel and Dime OPS has had up to 17 players on stage at one time.
– Nickel and Dime OPS is the longest lasting weekly residency in NYC that features a hip hop band performing their own material and not open mic.
– Nickel and Dime is the second longest active residency at SMOKE following only Mike LeDonne who has held the position since 1999.
– Nickel and Dime has an international following with fans on every continent minus Antarctica. There might be some penguins out there bumping us too.
– The OPS stands for Operation.
Aside from being frontman of Nickel and Dime OPS, Nickel 5 has been consistently recording with many MCs and producers throughout the years. One of his favorite collaborators has been Whichcraft of MHB. The 2 of them have come together to record a monstrous hip hop EP going under the alias, Signz of Life. Here is the video of their first single, “Stay for Awhile.” Enjoy and please share and spread the word. The EP, “The Lemurian Candidate,” will be for download soon.