A couple years ago my MHB brother Whichcraft and I decided to do a project together. For years him and I had worked together within the Money Hungry Bastards camp and I always found it a great pleasure to work with this very talented and progressive minded individual. As we began writing and recording it became apparent that this project was going to be special. The beats donated to the cause were of the highest level of boombappery. Lyrically we pushed each other to be the greatest we could be and complimented each other extremely well. Thought provoking concepts filled with esoteric wisdom and metaphorical mastery. Would you expect less? If you are a fan of true hip hop I challenge you to give this EP a chance. If you do not approve I will personally send you a refund check for the $6.94. That’s my guarantee. I invite you to enjoy “The Lemurian Candidate,” by Signz of Life.
– Nickel and Dime OPS has had somewhere around 300 shows. Somewhere around 250 at SMOKE, as well as Blue Note NYC, The Cutting Room, Joe’s Pub, The Bitter End, Ginny’s, Zinc, Bowery Electric, Sullivan Hall, Ashford and Simpson’s Sugar Bar, to name some most notable.
– In 5 years of performing we have featured many combinations of some the greatest jazz musicians on the NYC scene totaling in the area of somewhere around 130 different musicians, and over 200 if including those who sat in with us on the gig.
– The resume’s of these musicians feature names such as Alicia Keys, The Roots, D’Angelo, Amy Winehouse, Sting, Al Green, Mos Def, Common, Erykah Badu, Aretha Franklin, President Obama, Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, Wu Tang, Bobby McFerrin, and many more.
– Special guests sitting in with us include Dr. Eddie Henderson (trumpet disciple of Miles Davis), Gregory Porter (Grammy Award winning vocalist), Jean Baylor (from Zhane), Jacky Terrason (world renown piano player), Dennis Davis (Stevie Wonder’s drummer), T-Bone Davis (Public Enemy’s drummer), Brandon Bizzy Hollemon (guitar player and producer for The Weekend, Mims, and more)
– Some notable audience members and supporters include George Clinton, Governor David Patterson, Michael Strahan, Tamara Tunie, Kwame, Franc D ‘Ambrosio aka The Phantom of the Opera, Devin Ratray aka Buzz from Home Alone.
– Nickel and Dime OPS has released 2 albums. Most recently, “The Soulygamist,” was produced and mixed by Ian Hendrickson-Smith who currently plays with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon, and has played with The Dap Kings, Al Green, Sharon Jones, and holds Grammys for his work with Amy Winehouse.
– Although the band is usually 9 pieces in total, Nickel and Dime OPS has had up to 17 players on stage at one time.
– Nickel and Dime OPS is the longest lasting weekly residency in NYC that features a hip hop band performing their own material and not open mic.
– Nickel and Dime is the second longest active residency at SMOKE following only Mike LeDonne who has held the position since 1999.
– Nickel and Dime has an international following with fans on every continent minus Antarctica. There might be some penguins out there bumping us too.
– The OPS stands for Operation.
Aside from being frontman of Nickel and Dime OPS, Nickel 5 has been consistently recording with many MCs and producers throughout the years. One of his favorite collaborators has been Whichcraft of MHB. The 2 of them have come together to record a monstrous hip hop EP going under the alias, Signz of Life. Here is the video of their first single, “Stay for Awhile.” Enjoy and please share and spread the word. The EP, “The Lemurian Candidate,” will be for download soon.
Nickel and Dime OPS will continue their Thursday night residency at SMOKE this Summer approaching 5 years at the world renowned jazz club. They will also make some special appearances in NYC during the time span. You can check out Nickel and the crew live at The Bowery Electric 7/6 at 10pm, Shapeshifter in Brooklyn 7/26 at 8pm, and The Blue Note 8/29 at 12am. Shaping up to be a fun and exciting season for the Dime OPS. Make sure you catch some of these special events. Tickets are available at the venue’s websites.
Nickel and Dime OPS second video from their album “The Soulygamist” has aired in a unique fashion. NYC’s Jazz/hip hop fusion authority has put together a completely animated music video for their latest single “The Cure.” Check out Nickel, Madam Secretary, and the band defeating evil doers using their instruments as weapons! The entire album is available here on the website.
Saturday February 14th, NYC’s premier jazz fused hip hop band, Nickel and Dime OPS, will be returning to world famous Blue Note in the West Village. Join Nickel, Madam Secretary, and the band as they bring the love the band stand. They will be doing one set at 12am. Blue Note is located at 131 West 3rd St in Manhattan. Tickets are available at http://www.bluenote.net/newyork/schedule/moreinfo.cgi?id=12864
As 2014 winds down, Nickel and the Dime OPS All Stars remain hard at work. Rumors of beginnings of a new Nickel and Dime OPS album, a new music animated video of “The Cure” to end 2014, plus several lyrical side projects for Nickel in the works with some of his MHB affiliates. As Nickel continues his steady pace of writing, recording and performing, so do all the musicians from the Dime OPS squad with their own personal projects. However, all remain poised and focused on the Nickel and Dime OPS project, centered around their Thursday night residency at SMOKE. The weekly NYC live hip hop staple will continue through the end of 2014, and into next year.
From left to right: Jason Marshall, Darius Christian Jones, Andrew Lim, Nickel Killsmics, Wayne Tucker, Victoria Cave, Nathan Peck, Joe Strasser, Willerm Delisfort.
On Thursday September 4th NYC’s premiere jazz fused hip hop band, Nickel and Dime OPS will be celebrating 4 years of weekly residency at one of the world’s greatest jazz clubs, SMOKE. For the duration, the band has featured Nickel on the mic, with vocalist Madame Secretary, Victoria Cave at his side, and various combinations of over 100 of the city’s finest jazz musicians. Following such great acts as Gregory Porter, The Baylor Project, Gregory Generet, Nickel and Co. have never fallen short of tearing down the house late night at their UWS perch, and have no plans of slowing down. Come join the celebration on the 4th as the band plans to have many invited special guests to help launch their run for 5 years as NYC’s longest lasting live band weekly hip hop residency! Show starts at 11:45pm, there is no cover.
After finishing off 2013 with a bang, Nickel and Dime OPS picked up 2014 right where they left off. Powering their way through some of NYC’s greatest venues, Zinc Bar, DROM, and the fabled Joe’s Pub this past April. Now with Summer on the horizon, the band sets their collective eyes on the challenges of the upcoming months. In June the band will be making their 3rd appearance in SMOKE’s month long Miles Davis Festival as well as making their Harlem debut at Ginny’s on June’ 7th. In July they will be venturing off to their first out of state festival at the New London Sailfest. More gigs to be announced for later this Summer, stay tuned for the release of “The Cure” music video, plus Nickel and Dime OPS returning to the studio??
2014 has already been busy for Nickel and Dime OPS getting back into the swing of things with their weekly residency at SMOKE, the release of their newest music video, and their debut appearance at Zinc Bar. Now NYC’s answer to live jazz fused hip hop brings their talents to DROM in the East Village, Friday, February 28th. Nickel, Madame Secretary, and the crew will be doing one set at 9pm at this great venue that has hosted such acts as Q-Tip, Pharoahe Monch, Rakim, Gregory Porter, Tain Watts, and many more. Come join the party on this special evening. The band looks forward to sharing it with you! Cover is $15, $10 if you dine. Drom is located on Avenue A between 5th and 6th.
For more info on the show or to buy tickets go to – http://www.dromnyc.com/events/3064/nickel-and-dime-ops#.UvNV9yjQoWg